Dedicated to the preservation of Standard Cars 1903-
This is YOUR club site, help us to keep it interesting for everyone by sending us articles
The Standard Motor Club is THE club for all Standard Owners and fans
Watch this space for details of the 2018 International Rally
It's Military Month!
November is Military Month at www.standardmotorclub.org
Military Feature -
This article first appeared in Wheels and Tracks Issue No 46. Published by kind permission of "Classic Military Vehicles".
Amongst the British Cars, '4 x 2, Light Utility' of WWII those produced by the Standard were the odd ones out. The "Tillies" from Austin, Morris and Hillman were direct derivatives from their makers' 10Hp monocoque-
The Standards were based on the somewhat larger 12/14Hp chassis with a separate frame and military pattern bodywork from the scuttle backwards. Like the others, they were used for carrying passengers and light cargo, running errands and other general-
Upon the outbreak of the war, The Standard Motor Company had a full range of family saloons in production at its Canley, Coventry works: the Flying Eight, Nine, Ten, Twelve, Fourteen and Twenty ( ie 8 to 20Hp). In addition the company had started operating a highly automated so-
Below: the rear of the 10cwt successor
Above: the 5-
10Hp chassis was used also for a 5-
Meanwhile, following the Dunkirk evacuation Britain needed armoured cars for Home Defence, including airfoeld and aircraft factory protection. SMC was one of the suppliers and delivered some 850 Beaverettes MkI and MkII) based on the 14Hp chassis. This chassis was used also for quantities of 15-
From 1943 MV production was concentrated on one composite chassis type for all services -
The new military spec. 12Hp was in full scale production from 1943 until war's end in two main versions: the Series UV Light Utility and the Series EC Ambulance. Both were supplied as chassis for outside bodywork, however. The total ordered amounted to over 9000 and customers included the British Army, Air force, Navy and the Ministry of Supply. The chassis were numbered within the ranges UV1-
The Light Utility body, again by Mulliner was of wooden construction, panelled in sheet metal, with a waterproof tilt and a canopy sheet to cover the cab, both on a tubular framework. (The cab top was often replaced with a proper roof, especially after the war.) The tilt had a roll-
During its production run there were only few changes. Certain batches has civvy-
Part II will continue with details of the two contracts under which over 9000 of these Utilities were supplied.