Cookies in Use
"Dedicated to the preservation of Standard Cars 1903-1963"

Dedicated to the preservation of Standard Cars 1903-1963

Click here to join the club

Click here to renew your membership

This is YOUR club, keep it interesting for everyone by sending articles to the Magazine

49th Standard International Rally

Report on Saturday's Events

The Standards gather informally in the grounds of Charlecote House


Another early rise as I had to drive our 1934 Standard 10 Saloon for about an hour, reaching the Rally site at 10.00am. There it joined the Flying 12 DHC I had brought the day before.

The grounds of Charlecote house were busy already with cars arriving from all points of the compass. The club owes a special thanks to Richard Bradley and Steve Smeltzer ( the Yellow Jackets!) who marshalled the gate and directed the arriving cars into the parking area. There they were directed into spaces by the welcoming team of Peter Lockley, Steve O'Hara and others.

The marquee had been transformed into Rally Control and was a hive of activity. Prebooked participants were signing on and collecting their Rally plaques. New arrivals, not previously booked were also able to sign on. 

Especially welcomed in that category were Sharon and John Kennewell. John was  a former committee member, whose superb Mid thirties Avon was a welcome return to the National Rally scene. Thanks go to Bob and Val Richardson for processing all the entrants so efficiently and to Rachel Maxwell for plying them with raffle tickets

The thumbprints below show cars gathering for the roadrun. Click on any of them to see an enlargement

By 11.00am, we were ready for the off on the formal roadrun. Lynda (Yellow Jacket) Homer marshalled the cars at the gate with over 50 cars setting off at regular intervals over a 20 minute period. The route took us first over minor roads in  rolling South Warwickshire countryside, with my '34 10in the lead and the speed being determined by a 1920's V3 that followed me Then, at the pretty village of Ilmington, we began an assault on the Cotswolds escarpment. A steady climb of over two miles opened up extensive views all around us with the bonus of sunshine adding to the idyllic scenery.

Here we encountered the only issue with the route instructions "turn right at the broken brown sign" it said - well, not suprisingly,  some of you missed the the remaining stump, but there was no other finger on the post that I could have used!

Near Chipping Campden we picked us Steve Birt, who had parked along the route in his Teignmouth to greet us. More superb views over the Vale of Evesham followed, then we began a steep descent into Willersley. This marked the end of our brief Cotswold visit as the rest of the route was across the Vale of Evesham. We pressed on through Badsey to Evesham Country Park, our lunchtime destination, where the first cars arrived at 12.20pm

The first arrivals were surprised to see the same Marshall (Lynda) greet them at the ECP, as she had waved the last departees away from Charlecote. How did she do that? Unfortunately, ECP were unable to provide marshalls or reserved parking for our party, but as we hoped, there was sufficient parking for us to park altogether in their alternative Car Parking area. This complex is extremely popular, especially so on a Saturday lunchtime

These are some of the cars at the ECP.Click on any thumbprint to see an enlargement:

Participants had the opportunity to participate in retail therapy, ride the Steam Railway, visit the zoo and farm shop and take lunch in the restaurant or adjacent pub.

The return roadrun was again completed over mainly minor roads but this time over a flater route, mostly following the River Avon. Passing over the River by an old single lane bridge at Bidford on Avon, the Route continued via Welford on Avon to Stratford on Avon and thence back to Charlecote Park, itself on the River.

The weather, though fine all day had really decided to warm up for the evening. Nearly 60 participants gathered in the Orangery Restaurant in the Park for an evening Dinner. Judging by the level of noisy conversation, the revellers were happy recounting the pleasures of the day and the food and wine was well received, served by the girls from the National Trust caterers. 

From here most people walked to their tents or beds in the nearby Charlecote Pheasant as the sun went down around 10.15pm

The thumbnails below show participants socialising during the evening meal. Click on  then to see an enlargement. Email me if you want a printable high quality version sent to you.

Report by Phil Homer

Photos by Phil and Lynda Homer

If you would like your photos of the rally to appear here, just send them to

If you are enjoying these pages please let me know